How Do We Apply Livos?
Applying finish can be a tricky proposition for even an experienced craftsperson. Having used Livos products in our shop, Dovetail Design, for more than 15 years, we have developed "our" method of Livos using oil based products. When using oil based products, sanding must be given a lot of attention. We use a random orbital sander with a pressure sensitive adhesive pad first to 120 grit, then 180 grit. We finish up with a hook and loop 180 grit paper called Mirka Abranet. With the sanding done you are ready to apply a Livos Kunos product. Our go to finish is Livos Kunos Natural Oil Sealer #244. Click here for the technical data sheet from Livos Germany to read the manufacter's suggested application methods.
- Before you start on your finished piece, always do a test board. Prepare it exactly as you did your project piece.
Remember: rags wet with Livos products can be combustible!
- Apply finish with a foam brush. While wet with finish, work the first coat in - with the grain - using a purple scotch brite pad. Be sure to apply finish to the end grain first.
- Wait 5 to 15 minutes. Wipe off the excess with a white rag. Time to set depends on your room temperature and humidity. Don't wait too long or the finish will get too sticky to wipe off. If too sticky, apply more finish to emulsify it.
- Allow first coat to dry over night before applying the next coat.
- Apply second coat with a foam brush, wait, wipe off excess. Let dry overnight.
- Third coat - apply as you did the second coat in step 4.
- Enjoy your finished project…and send us a picture to email@example.com. We'd love to see your work!